Tuesday, April 28, 2015

WEEK 15 assignment : Final Evaluation

Attending literature classes has been one of the most important milestone for my art & design education. Because ultimately my true passion is to tell stories. Crafts are just medium that allow it to physically happen. My perspective toward learning about genre is the same as anything else I’ve learned here, I want to understand them throughly, take something from them and pursue something new. Learning about varieties of traditions also allow me to understand my value deeper and find ways to integrate it to my works. 

I’ve learned that Genres are deeply related to target audiences’ expectation and needs. Sometimes it could tied to range of demographics, but in the end it should deliver the spirit there intended audiences expect. Fantasy for example, almost always need to function with spirit of escapism. 

Stories in most genre can be told successfully when there are clear visions of their world and people who live in it. There are always a strong relationship between how characters think and characteristic of environment in each world. They co-exists and reflects each others. Cyberpunk characters functioned best in a world where the sense of mother nature is faded and the industrialize landscape shape their state of mind. Genre can be viewed as shared spaces appeared as different realities which valued by different kinds of people. 


Although, one important thing that has come to my awareness is the importance of life-span of each genres, cultures and traditions. Spirit of genre is organic and change through time. Authors should not simply replicate what they created before if it’s not necessarily and pursuing for ways that allow that spirit to live on in equilibrium with the present. This is my current answer to the struggle with the view of culture in my country where it’s been valued in a fossilized way. The role for new generation creator is to re analyze that spirit and allow it to live in the new world in an appropriate way even if it means to let it change or inhabit in new forms. 

No comments:

Post a Comment