Sunday, April 26, 2015

WEEK 13 assignment : Italo Calvino, Cosmiccomics, The Distance of The Moon.

I very much enjoyed reading The Distance of The Moon because of it’s imaginative concept, emotion centric characters and narrative elements that filled with animism. I said before on the week four blog (weird and new weird) that I’ve wrote short stories similar to these and on the process of writing more. 

Speculative literacy fascinated and inspired me as a writer who’s interested in the essence and philosophy than in genre. I’m willing to use whichever genre as tools to convey the essential state of mind inhibited in myself. This related to my personal value that originally emerged from outside the culture of western genre. As an artist and storyteller that stand on the crossing point of diverse inspirations and cultures I think The Distance of The Moon is a great reference for a characteristic of work I wish to create. The meeting between scientific logic and heartfelt folklore emotions is one of the most fascinating aspects of all. 

Although, speculative literacy might be outside the main genre but it can be categorized other ways. In Asia especially Japan there is a literacy movement called Light Novel which consist varieties of mixture of genre and traditional value. I think that most Light Novels can be considered as speculative but more established in term of characters and brands. One story can be categorized in many ways. Some could be labelled as Sci-fi, Romance and Thriller at the same time, but they’re all commonly intended for teenagers and young adults and inspired by Anime culture.

I found approaches reflects in speculative literature very charming and would adapt it to my body of work, in which any genre’s trophy can be use as long as it express the essence of the author idea, able to educate audience, elevate traditional culture to the new value and can be adapt to other media.

No comments:

Post a Comment