Saturday, April 25, 2015

WEEK 10 assignment : J. G. Ballard, The Drowned Giant.


The Drowned Giant is quite an inspiring reading. While the main element of the story is totally out of place(the dead giant) the reaction by other characters is totally nothing dramatic and nothing out of ordinary. This non-drama yet unexpected and easing mood of the story is the main body of this story which I really enjoy for some reason and I would definitely like to adapt it to my work in the future.

This work make me realize further that I enjoy stories that are quiet, reflective and atmospheric. Perhaps it has to do with my introvert personality. It made me think of a possibility to create works that can speak directly to these specific audiences or at least works that contain elements or characters that represents anti-drama yet reflective personality. 

Other works I know that contain similar idea are mostly in Anime and Manga culture where the theme depicted can be totally fabulous yet the reaction to it is very mundane. Some of the example would be slices of life genre and some independent manga such as After School Earth. I accidentally stumbled upon the work and didn’t find it that amazing but the approach sure is interesting. The story was basically about a young man and three other girls who live a relaxing and peaceful life after all other human were disappeared by the force of unknown alien. There was no violence nor other explanation. The story is simply about a group of kids enjoying their lives in a quiet world with a little bit of hope that other human being will return. There are several other manga I’ve read that started off with dramatic theme such as post apocalypse and space colony but turned out to be just a guilty pleasure for slow-life dreamer and I found these stuff totally wonderful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment