Wednesday, February 25, 2015

WEEK 7 assignment : J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Philosopher Stone

This is the first time I’ve read Harry Potter. Although I’ve seen all films I never realize that there are so many things in the story I can relate my life to. I’ve been studying overseas for almost ten years by myself. I’ve transferred from school to school, city to city, country to country and it forced me to survive and be part of new societies where it’s distinctively different from the one before it. However, like leaving for Hogwarts, the journey away from a familiar world brought me to a better understanding of my very own world. 

Perhaps it is because Harry Potter is all about coming of age and growing up it speaks directly to the heart of children, adolescent and young adults like me who are going through stages of transformation and finding themselves. In fact many elements from the story sounds very realistic(like sister crying when her brother leaves) that it is easy to feel connected to them.

To me, going to different countries to study meant that I have to enter the realm of unknown and once again become innocent to everything. Just like Harry Potter, I have had many questions to ask about unfamiliar world even on subjects that are as mundane as common sense. I now realized that they may not be an end to it, but I have become more and more comfortable with being innocent, with adaptation and able to face things with more peaceful mind. The beginning of Hogwarts life reminded me of how nervous I was at the beginning of my journey and how much I’ve changed since then. Harry and many characters of his generation reflected mind of adolescent fascinatingly as they are always project negative thought to their future and worried about what could go wrong. I can imagine the story of this book being valuable to young readers as it can almost be an advisor or good influence to their life. It also reminds us that choices are actually ours, and most time we’ve already made them long before options come to us.

Just like Harry Potter, sometimes it is kind adults who resemble guardian figures, sometimes it is wisdom, courage or mere luck that got me through all challenges. Most of the time, I’ll know from deep inside and I’ve slowly learn to follow my inner voice which tells me that this is the path I meant to take. 


No comments:

Post a Comment